Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fly Away

Most of you that read my blog know that my Grandma died a few days ago. She had cancer and had fought bravely for some time now. I want to share a happy story about how my Grandma gave me my love of music and singing.

My whole family used to go to a church in Vincennes. When I was around 11-12 my Mom and Dad stopped going as did my cousin Wendy's Mom and Dad. After about a month of this my Grandma drove from Vincennes to Bicknell and announced she would be taking Wendy and I to choir practice with her from now on and we had to sing with her. I was mortified. That is really an understatement. I was so very shy at that time in my life and the LAST thing I ever wanted to do was get up and sing in front of people. Are you kidding me? They might look at me! She insisted and you don't tell Grandma no. So then started my education in reading music and singing. She is the one that discovered I was an alto. She was so patient with me trying to teach me the saprano part up until then lol. I wouldn't be able to get a piece of music and she would encourage me to keep on trying until I got it. I remember the love in her eyes as she would watch Wendy and I practice. She was so proud. Grandma had a ton of grandkids (she had 9 kids) and it was a big deal to be singled out by her. I will never forget just how special she made me feel. I do wish I could muster the courage and strength to sing for her one last time at the funeral like she wanted me to. I love you Grandma. Thank you for giving me my voice with your love.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad she's not suffering anymore. Beautiful story to go with your beautiful voice!

My life may seem a little messy looking from the outside in. Trust me, I know where everthing is at :)